Recently, three out of four organizations in the oil and natural gas industry in the Middle East have experienced a security compromise that resulted in the loss of confidential data or Operational Technology (OT) disruption. This is according to a recent study by Siemens and the Ponemon Institute. Another finding in the report is that – organizations believe that roughly one in every two cyber-attacks against the OT environment actually goes undetected. The report also notes that the oil and gas industry is the target of as much as one-half of all cyberattacks in the Middle East and given its importance for the region’s economies, the risks faced by the industry are all the more pressing. OT, which encompasses systems that monitor and control physical devices and industrial processes, is increasingly interconnected with IT networks. In spite of all its benefits, this IT/OT convergence is opening up new avenues for attacks.
- Operations and Maintenance Personnel.
- Process Control Operators, Engineers.
- Process, Plant, and Project Managers.
- Process Engineers and Managers.
- Instrumentation Technicians and Engineers.
- System Integrators.
- IT/OT Engineers and Managers Industrial Facilities.
- IT/OT Corporate / Security Professionals.
- Plant Safety, Security, and Risk Management.
- Security Personnel in all categories.
- Any individual needs to address issues in the ever-expanding and complex field of cybersecurity in the industrial environment.
At the end of this course the participants will be able to:
- List what process control assets need to be protected.
- Understand the Current Industrial Security Environment.
- List and explain the main components of the process control security standard IEC 62443.
- Understand how to perform a risk assessment and apply cybersecurity counter-measures.
- Learn how to perform application diagnostics, troubleshooting, and incidence response.
- Introduction and Cybersecurity Fundamentals.
- Introduction to the IACS Cybersecurity Lifecycle and ISA99 / IEC 62443.
- Addressing Security Risks: Process Control Security Counter-measures.
- Application Diagnostics and Troubleshooting.
- IACS Cybersecurity Operating Procedures & Tools and Incident Response.
Unit 1: Introduction and Cybersecurity Fundamentals:
- Introduction to Process Control Cybersecurity
- Understanding the Current Industrial Security Environment
- How IT and OT (Operational Technology) in the Plant Floor are Different and How They are the Same
- Overview of Process Control
- Overview of Industrial Communication Systems and Networks
- How Cyber-attacks Happen: Threats, Vulnerabilities, Attacks
- Asset Identification and Impact Assessment
Unit 2: Introduction to the IACS Cybersecurity Lifecycle and ISA99 / IEC 62443:
- Identification & Assessment Phase
- Design & Implementation Phase
- Operations & Maintenance Phase
- Limits of a Conventional IT Approach
- The IEC 62443 Security Approach and Standards
- Risk Analysis Risk Identification, Classification, and Assessment
- CAL (Cybersecurity Assurance Levels)
- Functional Requirements of IEC 62443
Unit 3: Addressing Security Risks: Process Control Security Counter-measures:
- Antivirus, Anti-spyware
- Firewalls, Traffic Analyzers
- Encryption, Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)
- Passwords - Authentication Systems
- Access Control - Intrusion Detection / Prevention
- Network Segmentation
Unit 4: Application Diagnostics and Troubleshooting:
- Interpreting Device Alarms and Event Logs
- Early Indicators
- Network Intrusion Detection Systems
- Network Management Tools
- Interpreting OS and Application Alarms and Event Logs
- Application Management and Whitelisting Tools
- Antivirus and Endpoint Protection Tools
- Security Incident and Event Monitoring (SIEM) Tools
Unit 5: IACS Cybersecurity Operating Procedures & Tools and Incident Response:
- Developing and Following an IACS Management of Change Procedures
- IACS Configuration Management Tools
- Developing and Following an IACS Patch & Antivirus Management and Cybersecurity Audit Procedures
- Patch Management Tools
- Antivirus and Whitelisting Tools
- Auditing Tools
- Developing and Following an IACS Incident Response Plan
- Incident Investigation and System Recovery