This Sustainable Urban Development training seminar is focused on planning, development, and sustainability of urban centers which are existing or being developed, as they all share the same or similar characteristics, which are: the high concentration of people in a limited space, high requirement for transportation, dependence on outside resources and creation of pollution and waste.
As the challenges mount the sustainability of these urban centers is challenged as they need to invest more and more in tackling the issues. This training course is designed to present students with the solutions to these problems with a focus on developing urban environments in a way that will make them sustainable in terms of living, transportation, climate change, and finances.
- Urban Planners.
- Transportation Engineers.
- Policy Makers.
- Rail transport Professionals.
- Environmental Engineers.
- Financial Managers.
- Supply Chain Managers.
- Professionals involved in the planning and maintaining of the city infrastructure.
At the end of this course the participants will be able to:
- Properly assess the demographic of the cities.
- Adequately determine possible settlement transitions associated with urban development.
- Determine policies for ensuring energy security in urban development.
- Chart and develop pathways to sustainable road transport.
- Recognize the influence of automated rail on urban mobility.
- Develop methods for ensuring the financial sustainability of urban development.
- Urban planning principles.
- Influence of urban development on people's lives and habits.
- Transport requirements for people and goods.
- Influence of globalization on the urban landscape.
- Climate change and financial sustainability of urban centers.
Unit 1: Sustainable Urban Development Introduction:
- Cities of the Past and Cities of the Future
- Policy and Governance of Urban Planning
- Examples of Sustainable Urban Planning for the Cities
Unit 2: Influence of Urban Growth on Sustainability:
- Growth Models
- Urban Demographics and Settlement
- Capacity Planning for Urban Infrastructure
- Scarcity of Natural Resources for Urban Centers
- Sustainable Living Environment Planning
- Dealing with the Remnants of the Past
Unit 3: The Sustainability of Economics:
- Housing bubbles
- Risky Models of Urban Development Financing
- Painful Lessons from Economic Slowdown
- Financial Sustainability of Urban Development
- Ensuring the Financing of Critical Services
Unit 4: Sustainable Mobility:
- Sustainable road transport
- Capacity Planning
- Parking Issues
- Reserve Capacity
- Rail Transport
- Water Transport
- Air Transport
- Multimodal Transport
- Resources and Delivery Planning
Unit 5: Sustainable Urban Development in the Age of Digital Technologies:
- Use of Data for Urban Planning
- Development of Smart Cities
- Use of Simulation for Creating the Digital Twins of the Cities
- Centralized Traffic Monitoring and Control
- Assurance of Compliance
- Maintenance Sustainability