This course will lead you through the multiple steps organizations use to select the correct system or technology. You will learn the steps required to successfully implement the system, such as developing the project plan, installing the technology, analyzing the gaps in procedures and the system's features, mapping the old system's data to the new system’s data elements, testing the new system, developing training materials and documentation, and supporting the system after go-live.
- Payroll Professionals
- Human Resources Professionals
- Accounting, Benefits, and Systems Professionals who are planning to select, upgrade, replace, and/or implement a new payroll system.
At the end of this course the participants will be able to:
- Develop a current situation analysis to identify the requirements of a new system.
- Prepare a Request for Proposal and analyze the vendor's responses.
- Develop and manage the project plan to ensure the implementation is on time and under budget.
- Map the data elements in the old system to the new system’s data elements for a successful data conversion.
- Understand the different types of testing required to ensure the system meets the organization’s requirements.
- Organize and develop a system implementation plan including user training.
- Manage the support and enhancements required when implementing a new system.
- Preparing and producing payroll
- Analyzing and reporting payroll
- Reconciling payroll
- Analytical thinking
- Planning skills
Unit 1: Technology Selection – Setting the Stage:
- Approach to system/ technology selection.
- Determine where/how the technology will be developed or delivered.
- Select a processing environment.
- Select interfacing versus integration.
- Prepare a high-level project plan.
- Conduct a Current Situation Analysis to create a Functional Requirement Document.
- Integrated vs. interfaced system–Interfacing – working with other systems and departments.
- The project team.
- Project plan.
Unit 2: System Selection – Selecting the Vendor:
- Request for Information.
- Request for Proposal.
- System selection.
- Vendor evaluation.
- Analysis of the report cards.
- Mistakes to avoid.
- Negotiate contract terms.
Unit 3: System Implementation – Designing the System:
- Project plan – redone!
- Install the technology.
- Gap analysis.
- Prototype the system.
Unit 4: System Implementation – Developing the System:
- Data mapping and specifications.
- Logical day testing and user buy-in.
Unit 5: System Implementation – Implementing the System:
- User training and support.
- Parallel testing and cutover.
- Business continuity planning.
- Controls and security.
Unit 6: System Implementation – Supporting the Live System:
- Supporting the system.
- Wrap-up meeting.
- Ongoing processes.
- Continuous process review leading to improvements.
- Escalation procedures.
- System lifecycle strategy.