Why can't people just leave their problems at the front gate?
People's problems can include work-related stress, marriage problems, lack of motivation, work stress, long hours of work, turnover, under-staffing, nationalization, bullying, and job insecurity all impact on employee’s health and performance. The cost to the employer can be enormous. No matter what industry you work in, stress at work can be a very real and overwhelming experience.
The amount of employees suffering from stress and stress-related illnesses is rapidly rising. More than half (53%) of people in work have suffered stress in the past 12 months, while one in four people had taken time off sick through stress in the previous year, according to the latest research by the International Stress Management Association.
This course allows participants to critically analyze their HR approach managing people problems in the workplace and put development plans in place to manage this vital workplace issue.
The ability to manage people problems at work is a critical skill for all people managers and HR professionals.
- Team leader
- Human recourses professionals
At the end of this course the participants will be able to:
- Develop practical skills in people management
- Understand people problems at work
- Apply best practice in the management of employee problems
- Develop practical skills in trauma and crisis management
- Identify and develop the critical skills needed for stress management
- Learn how stress affects individuals mental health at work
- Understand Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Develop effective workplace interventions
- Understand how to motivate & counsel others
- Learn the skills and knowledge necessary to motivate others
- Introduce effective Employee Assistance Programs (EAP)
- Management skills
- Stress management
- Crisis management
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- PTSD and CISD
- Effective motivation strategy
- Counseling Skill
Unit 1: People Problems at Work:
- Introduction to human psychology
- Understanding people problems
- Ways of helping people
- Impact of work - performance issues
- Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs)
- Steps to establish an EAP
Unit 2: Understanding Stress:
- What is stress?
- Recognizing the physical and behavioral signs, Stress in the mind and body
- What contributes to workplace pressures?
- The impact of stress on personal performance - the positive and negative effects of stress
- The symptoms of short term and long term stress
- Stress management techniques
- Individual Testing: The major causes of stress at work and home
Unit 3: Basic Counseling Skill:
- What is counseling?
- Techniques for interviewing/basic counseling skill
- Developing Active listening skills
- Understanding body language
- SOLER Techniques for counseling
- Motivational Coaching Techniques
Unit 4: Understanding Motivation:
- The psychology of motivation
- Motivation at work
- Team & group motivation
- Case study: Absenteeism
Unit 5: Critical Incident Stress (CISD) and Trauma Counseling:
- What constitutes a traumatic event
- A Model for Workplace Trauma Management
- Policy, Plans, and Procedures
- Media Management, Preventive Training and Information
- Debriefing & Grief Counselling
- Traumatic stress and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder